Moms of multiples everywhere can totally relate. Generally about everywhere we go we get some sort of comment or question from about 5-10 different people. Here are some that I’ve heard recently and my silent sarcastic quips I’d like to throw at poeple:
- Are they twins? Well, I bought a double stroller and thought I’d bring the baby I found in the parking lot because shopping with 2 infants seems like a lot more fun.
- Do they run in your family? No, do you generally ask new moms about their genetic history?
- You have your hands full. Not as full as my heart.
- Better you than me. If you have the heart to say this, you don’t have the heart for twins. So it probably is better.
- Do you breast feed two at a time? I don’t ask you what you do with your boobs, don’t ask me what I do with mine.
- How did you find out you were having twins? Modern medicine.
- What was your response? What would your response be?
- Did you want twins? Uhh, I wanted children so I guess the answer is yes.
- How far along were you before you delivered? 35 weeks (ok – no sarcasm here)
- Did you have them naturally? When you say naturally do you mean – did they come from my vagina vs surgical methods? Did I use drugs or essential oils?
- Are they both yours? Actually, this one is mine and that one is my husbands. It’s been rough on our marriage to raise his lovechild, but we’re trying to make it work.
- How close in age are they? Approximately 8 min.
- I don’t know how you do it. Some of us are capable of putting on big girl panties and getting shit done.
- You have two babies there. Uhhh, thank you?!
- Oh, two boys? Yeah, I make one wear pink so I can tell them apart.
- General comments about their differences (this one has dark hair and that one has light hair, this one is bigger than that one). Thank you for describing the physical appearance of my children to me.
- I’ve always wanted twins. I would be an awesome twin mom! Yeah… maybe.
- Do they have different personalities? Do your children have different personalities? You don’t have children? Do you and your siblings have different personalities?
- Do they nap at the same time? Only if God wills me to take care of the rest of our household.
- A boy and a girl… so one and done huh? As if this is the perfectly magical combination of children that everyone strives for so why would I ever dream of having another?
My most favorite from a recent trip to a local second hand store involved a few gray haired ladies wearing loud floral prints:
“Are they twins? Let me get a look. Oh they must be identical.”
Me: Actually they are boy and girl twins so there’s no way they’re identical.
“Oh, but they look just the same. They both have blue eyes.”
I have no hate for those who are fascinated by the idea of carrying, birthing, and caring for two babies… but golly, it amazes me how much people lose all social filters when they spot twins. I will always put on my happy face and respond kindly, but that doesn’t mean I won’t come up with more ridiculous and sarcastic responses that will never come out of my mouth (of which I get to share with you).
What weird questions have people asked you mommas?